© Yankee Harvest, LLC
Yankee Gardener Recipes
Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread Recipe
Makes 2 delicious, round, sourdough bread loaves
2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
7-1/2 cups to 8 cups all-purpose Flour, unsifted
2 teaspoons plain or iodized salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 cup Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough starter batter at room temperature
NOTE: (See San Francisco Sourdough Starter Source Below.)
Hot water and small pan for the oven as required. See step #4.
Bread Baste or Wash Recipe: 1 teaspoon cornstarch brought to a boil
with 1 cup water, then cooled to room temperature. See step #5.
BAKING SAFETY HINT: Please double check your oven area, and remove ALL unwanted items from it, BEFORE you turn it on. Ovens have a habit of becoming storage places. Open your oven door and check inside...!
Close and preheat your oven to 400°F.
Lightly grease a baking sheet for the round loaves.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine water, sourdough starter batter and 4 cups of the flour. Mix well and cover with clear plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place (85 degrees F) 8 to 12 hours.
- Stir in salt, sugar and enough remaining flour (about 4 cups) to form a very stiff dough. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (2 to 2-1/2 hours).
- Punch down and divide in half. Knead gently until smooth. Shape each half into loaf or round shape. Place onto the baking sheet. Cover the sourdough bread loaves lightly; let them rise in a warm place until puffy and almost doubled in size (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Carefully place a small pan on the shelf, below the oven baking rack, and fill it with hot water. Keeping your sourdough bread in a humid (moist) environment during the baking process, is very critical.
- Place your sourdough bread loaves on the middle baking rack, close the oven door and bake in a preheated (400 degree F) oven for 10 minutes. Then brush your sourdough bread loaves with the baste (wash) mixture. Close the oven door and continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes more until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Nothing can compare to the taste of a warm, fresh baked loaf of sourdough bread right from your own oven. The kitchen filled with the wonderful aromas of fresh baked bread. Hmmmm...!!!
- Remove the loaves from the oven and place on a cooling rack until cooled down to room temperature. Now for the hardest part of all in this San Francisco Sourdough Bread Recipe. Allow your loaf to cool completely (about 2 hours) before cutting into it. A loaf of sourdough bread is not fully flavored until it is totally cool. Also, bread is much easier to slice when cool.
KITCHEN BAKING SAFETY HINT:
Keep the HOT water, baking sheet and the cooling bread rack out of the reach of children.
- Now for the good stuff - the end, final chapter...! Slice up your sourdough bread, and butter it well with lots of fresh butter or try covering it with thin slices of your favorite cheese. Then, sit back with a glass of your favorite beverage, along with some good friends, and enjoy the sourdough fruit of your baking labors. It will be some great times...! Enjoy the moment...!
Visit our Pumpkin Masters and Special Halloween pages for some really neat pumpkin carving kits, scary pumpkin carving patterns, Halloween accessories, and unusual Halloween goodies. Don't say you were not warned...! Before your visit, check your speakers for sound. ENTER - if you dare...!!!
Return to Yankee Gardener Recipe Main Page
||Yankee Grocery Herb and Spice Collections|
Compliments of the Spicemill®
Your recipe calls for sea salt...? Your bread needs caraway seeds...? Where do I find Sesame Seeds, hulled or natural brown for my rolls...? We have them at Yankee Grocery, compliments of The Spicemill. In this neck of the woods, The Spicemill herbs and spices are used by high-end restaurants, banquet facilities and by the most discerning gourmet cook. It is here, where the quality of the seasoning means everything. Packaged in generous portions and glass jars, The Spicemill herbs and spices are well known in culinary circles in New England and on the East Coast. The Spicemill, while offering a complete quality line of individual herb and spices, also has created several delightful herb and spice gift collections for your kitchen and your own culinary enjoyment. Check out one of our bakers' delight, Olde Bake Shoppe Spice collections.
Yankee Grocery Herb and Spice Collections are available at the Yankee Grocery Country Store.
||RECIPE NOTE: Mister Baker's San Francisco Sourdough Starter. We have been informed by many visitors to this wonderful Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread recipe, that they are unable to find Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough starter at their local health food or grocery store. If you find that to be the case, we now offer Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough starter for sale, on-line at the Yankee Grocery country store. Mister Baker's San Francisco sourdough starter is a San Francisco tradition...! You will also find additional sourdough recipes, a very comprehensive sourdough baking glossary, and sourdough hints and tips for your bread machine. Mister Baker's also offers a nice selection of San Francisco sourdough bread, sourdough pancakes, sourdough waffles, and sourdough biscuit mixes. Just add water and bake. A very unique and delicious San Francisco Tradition...!!!|
||The Taste of Gloucester - A Fisherman's Wife Cooks - 8th Edition|
"The Taste of Gloucester" cookbook was created by the Gloucester Fishermen's Wives and the Cape Ann League of Women's Voters to share recipes of lesser known species of fish as well as familiar ones. Their cookbook, The Taste of Gloucester has sold over 200,000 copies. The Taste of Gloucester recipes are drawn from tradition and are variations of ethnic specialties for different occasions. The original purpose of the cookbook was the promotion of underutilized fish to help the local fleet diversify. Squid, Atlantic Herring and Shark recipes are scattered among those for more familiar species. Copies of The Taste of Gloucester - 8th Edition, can be ordered through the Yankee Grocery Country Store.